(Pockets of fat at corners of mouth)
We all agree that signs of ageing around the eyes are extremely noticeable. However, we should not take the ageing signs around the mouth light! As we age, the upper and middle parts of our face begin to lose structure and fullness, while the lower part gets a heavier appearance, making us look older. What can we do to reverse them?
What is Perioral Mound
The small, fat bulges at the corners of the mouth are also known as perioral mounds, which are mainly superficial fat pads and sagging skin as a result of ageing. Due to the characteristics of independent fat pockets on the outside corner of the lips, faces with perioral mounds are sometimes referred to as “sheep face” or “squirrel face”.
Causes & Symptoms
Perioral mounds can be the result of ageing and genetics.
●Genetics: Perioral mound is mainly composed of subcutaneous fat. When the fat at the outside corners of the mouth is naturally abundant and prominent, the face will appear having perioral mounds.
●Ageing: Changes that happen beneath the surface of our skin can ultimately cause us to look older. As collagens diminish with age, this reduces their support of the connective tissues and fat pads, which can cause the skin to begin to sag and the fat pads to hang downward.
The appearance of perioral mounds, deflating cheeks, and downturned mouth corners can all occur at the same time. Sometimes, deflating cheeks may happen along with tear troughs.
○ How to find out what causes your perioral mounds:
For people with genetic or naturally occurring perioral mounds, they are usually young, have a chubby face or a slim face with fat pockets at the outside of corners of moths.
If the perioral mounds only occur when you get older, along with drooping mouth corners, this is the ageing causing perioral mounds.
Fixing the perioral mound is one of the most tricky anti-ageing treatments as multiple factors should be taken into consideration. For example, reducing the genetic perioral mounds requires the focus on fat reduction on the face. For the ageing-caused perioral mounds, it requires a combination of anti-ageing therapies in different aspects.
What is FOTONA 4D PRO:
FOTONA 4D PRO is the new-generation non-invasive anti-aging laser system for a comprehensive facial rejuvenation treatment. The system integrates the four patented technologies: SMOOTHLIFTIN, FRAC3, PIANO and SUPERFICIAL to work on partial layers treatment and multi-dimensional anti-aging solution, while simultaneously targeting different skin imperfections. It can treat four major signs of ageing including contour, skin tone, skin texture and tissue volume in a safe and efficient way. FOTONA 4D PRO helps to restore a more youthful, more defined and rejuvenating appearance.
How does it work:
FOTONA 4D PRO’s unique patented non-ablative SMOOTH erbium laser mode utilises a 2940nm laser to achieve a synergistic thermal effect. With the pulse technology, it heats the skin intermittently, in which the skin’s temperature will increase within the precisely controlled setting, helping instantly tighten skin tissues. This SMOOTH mode heats up the oral mucosa that is closely adjacent to the SMAS layer to 65℃, which effectively tightens collagen fibre, stimulates collagen reformation, firms skin laxity, and lifts jawline contours. This treatment provides promising results in reduced appearance of nasolabial folds, wrinkles around the mouth, and perioral mounds. It is the first ever intraoral laser treatment in the UK.
1. VISIA examination: Access skin condition or existing skin problems with assistance of scientific tools.
2. Face-to-face consultation: Customise unique treatment plan based on client’s condition and desired results.
3. PATCH TEST: Perform a patch test 24 hrs prior to the treatment. Proceed with the treatment when no allergy or abnormal reaction is shown.
4. Apply anaesthetics: Apply anaesthetics externally. Clean and disinfect the treatment areas.
5. Pre-treatment preparation: Draw treatment areas to define the treatment areas. Confirm the package of the new tip of the applicator has not been opened.
6. During treatment: Proceed with the scheduled treatment plan with flexibility to adjust the laser energy and depth.
7. Post-treatment repair: Medical-grade facial repair mask and QDEL phototherapy mask to nourish and repair the skin.
8. Post-treatment precautions.
Duration: 30-45 mins
Who is it for:
- People who have perioral mounds, nasolabial folds, or wrinkles around their mouths;
- People who have shown drooping mouths or signs of ageing around their mouths;
- People who want to improve their skin condition, but do not rush to instant results.
What is Thermage:
Thermage uses radiofrequency technology to heat the dermis. The tissue at the localised dermis area will be damaged and hence its self-healing process will be stimulated. The healing process promotes the formation and remodelling of collagens, which will tighten, smoothen, and lift the skin, resulting in re-contouring and slowing down the ageing process.
How does it work:
Thermage is a radiofrequency treatment. The patented applicator will contact your skin and deliver the accurately set radiofrequency to the dermis and heat it up to 65℃ – 75℃. The high temperature will stimulate the self-healing mechanism. A large amount of collagen in the dermis will be regenerated, resulting in an instant firming effect on the face.
- Face-to-face consultation: Customise a Thermage treatment plan based on client’s conditions and desired results.
- Pre-treatment preparation: Clean and disinfect the treatment areas. Draw areas on the face to define treatment areas. Confirm the package of the new tip of the applicator has not been opened.
- During treatment: Proceed with the customised plan to perform Thermage to tighten the skin and remove wrinkles.
- Post-treatment repair: QDEL phototherapy mask to nourish and repair the skin.
- Post-treatment precautions.
Duration: 1.5-2 hrs
Who is it for:
- Young people who have perioral mounds.
- People with perioral mounds as a result of ageing.
- People with more noticeable signs of ageing around the mouth.
- People who have drooping skin at their lower part of the face.
- People who want to receive long term treatment for anti-ageing and improving their perioral mounds.
- People who are financially available do not rush into immediate results and are looking for long term treatment.
What is ULTHERAPY:
MERZ ULTHERAPY®is a non-surgical aesthetic treatment. It enables high-intensity ultrasound to precisely focus on the SMAS layer, stimulate the self-renewal mechanism of skin tissue, and result in a series of rejuvenation effects such as tightening, increased elasticity, lifting, wrinkle reduction, whitening, and pigmentation.
How does MERZ ULTHERAPY® work:
ULTHERAPY® uses precise ultrasonic energy to go 4.5mm, 3.0mm and/or 1.5mm skin deep, triggering cellular friction to generate high heating energy at pinpointed thermal focal points. The heat generated at these focal points will stimulate tissue self-renewal mechanism, collagen regrowth, and an increase in collagen fibre and elastic fibre. Provide instant reverse of ageing signs.
1. Face-to-face consultation: Suggest treatment plan based on client’s condition and expectation.
2. Anesthetic: Apply Anesthetic externally. Clean and disinfect the treatment areas.
3. Pre-treatment preparation: Draw markings on the face to define treatment areas. Adjust treatment parameters based on the client’s signs of aging on the face.
4. During treatment: Perform the MERZ ULTHERAPY treatment. Focus on the areas of the double chin and the jawline.
5. Post-treatment repair: Medical-grade facial repair mask + QDEL Phototherapy mask to nourish and repair the skin.
6. Post-treatment caring.
Duration: 1.5-2 hr
Who is it for:
- People with signs of skin drooping on their face;
- People with sagging cheeks or loosen skin;
- People with visible wrinkles around their nose and mouth. People who want to combat signs of aging;
- People with double chin, fat deposits on jawline and undefined contour;
- People with accumulation of deep fat on their face; People with problem of edema;
- People who want long-term treatment for anti-aging and regrowth of collagen, with good financial support.
What is it?
Lipodissolve injection is considered the most safe and effective non-surgical fat reduction treatment, it works particularly well on local fat reduction such as double chin, chubby face, arms and legs. Lipodissolve injection boosts the metabolic rate of fat tissue to digest fat cells, and hence tightens and lifts the skin.
How does it work?
Lipodissolve injection solution will be administered locally to the subcutaneous fat layer. The active ingredients in the solution will break down the walls of fatty cells and increase the localised concentration of lipase enzymes to facilitate the destruction of fatty cells and let the body flush out the fat as waste via the lymphatic system.
1. Face-to-face consultation: Doctor conducts evaluation of the thickness of the double chin and provides professional advice on whether or not a lipodissolve injection treatment is suitable. If suitable, the injection site will then be marked on the face.
2. Pre-treatment preparation: Local anesthetic. Clean and disinfect the injection areas.
3. Injection: Administered with blunt needles at the double chin. Only one injection at each injection zone.
4. Post-treatment precautions.
Duration: 30-45 mins
Who is it for?
- People with perioral mounds due to fat accumulation at the corners of the mouths;
- People who have chubby faces along with perioral mounds;
- People who have stubborn fat in certain parts of their body;
- People who want fat reduction treatment that is non-invasive, non-surgical, non-liposuction and non-full anaesthesia.
- People who are physically inactive;
What is thread lift:
Thread lift is currently the most effective face lifting technique. By embedding threads to the dermis layer, which lifts the face according to the direction and interval of the threads, it stimulates the skin, and further activates fibroblasts to produce collagen. Thread lift restores skin’s lifting ability, preventing it from sagging.
How does it work:
Through embedding the absorbable threads on the SMAS layer, the threads network will effectively lift the SMAS layer and the tissues above it. It will eventually lift the perioral mounds and make it appear smaller.
1. Face-to-face consultation: Develop a unique treatment plan based on the client’s condition and desired results.
2. Apply anesthetic: Apply anesthetic externally. Clean and disinfect the areas to be embedded with threads.
3. Pre-treatment: Fully understand the treatment plan. Check the quality and quantity of the threads.
4. During treatment: Proceed with the treatment plan to embed threads.
5. Post-treatment precautions.
Duration: 45-60 mins
Who is it for:
- People with perioral mounds as a result of ageing;
- People who have drooping skin on their face due to signs or early signs of ageing; People who have observed loss of their facial volume and support and noticeable perioral mounds;
- People who are looking for an instant, natural and short term lift of their face;
Reduce Perioral Mounds, come to Ai Beauty Clinic,
for safe and professional medical treatment.
Ai Beauty Clinic is a CQC accredited clinic based in London, and also is strongly supported by Cynosure(the owner of Ulthreapy) and Cynosure (the owner of PicoSure).
With rich experience of treating clients of various conditions, led by a famous British medical chief trainer, practiced by doctors and nurses who are GMC/NMC-registered and worked in NHS national hospitals, Ai Beauty provides certified and safe medical beauty treatments.
Ai Beauty always puts safety first. Not only are all medical staff insured by independent medical policy, each client who comes to Ai Beauty Clinic is also insured by £5 millions medical insurance. This full insurance coverage allows clients to have a concern-free treatment experience.
Ai Beauty Clinic has served over 15,000 clients from all around the world, been covered by some famous media such as European Times and CW Television, and established trust and an excellent reputation among them.