Think of your scalp like soil and your hair like the plant it grows, only rich fertile soil grows healthy plants! When you begin to have itchy scalp, oily scalp or dandruff, it is time to start looking after the health of your scalp and hair. If using functional shampoo does not help and the condition continues, aesthetic treatments may come in handy.
Scalp is a thin skin, which is only 1/50 of the skin on the soles of the feet. It is the second thinnest skin in our body after the skin around the eyes. Scalp is also the body part that ages fast and has the highest number of free radicals, making it age 6 times faster than the skin on the face and 12 times faster than the skin on the body.
Compared to the skin on the face, the scalp is thinner and more sensitive and has a 14-21 days cell renewal cycle instead of 28 days. Scalp also generates sebum that is 2 times more than that of the face skin, however, the skin on the scalp makes the sebum harder to be washed off, leading to the tendency of sebum accumulation on the scalp. When the scalp is not clean properly and provides a poor environment to the hair, we will start to have oily scalp, dandruff or itchy scalp.
A healthy scalp has a natural and strong stratum corneum layer in a “bricks and mortar” structure, enabling it to regulate the water content at the scalp and act as physical and chemical barriers against external stimulants. When this natural barrier is damaged, the stratum corneum layers are not in an organised disorder, making it unable to effectively retain water and resist external stimulants, thereby causing and worsening the scalp problems such as dry scalp, itchy scalp, oily flaking ,and dandruff.
Scalp problems can affect our confidence and we should not treat any scalp problems lightly as prolonged and recurrent scalp issues could harm the hair follicles or lead to hair loss or baldness in serious cases.
People with over active sebum secretion on their scalp always find their scalp and hair roots oily. Even after washing their hair, the clean and dry scalp would not last for a day. If the wash is not properly done, the accumulated sebum in the scalp could build up in hair follicles and become a breeding ground for bacteria. Scalp with excessive sebum secretion usually comes with a dandruff problem and later on pattern baldness at the top of the head or receding front hairline, which are known as seborrheic alopecia.
Skin shedding from the scalp is a normal skin metabolism process where the outer layer of the scalp starts to replace itself. Usually, peeling skin is not noticeable (size is smaller than 0.02mm) or a cause for concern. However, when the shedding is large and lasts for a while, it may be a concern of a fungal infection. The growth of fungus (Malassezia) on the scalp can cause the excessive growth of the stratum corneum, resulting in abnormal shedding of stratum corneum cells in the form of white or grey flakes. This condition often comes with itchy scalp, inflammation and other symptoms, making the scalp extremely fragile and sensitive. If the condition is left untreated, the scalp will suffer from dandruff and itchiness repeatedly and continuously, resulting in an adverse scalp environment.
When the balance of flora on the scalp is destroyed, harmful bacteria will dominate the scalp and cause an itchy scalp. If proper treatments are not taken place in time, the scalp will be in an unhealthy condition. Sebum secretion and improper hair washing habits can cause itchy scalp while dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis are the most common reasons for itchy scalp, suggesting that an unhealthy scalp condition will bring you an itchy scalp.
◎ Some common scalp problems are as follows:
- Building up of scalp keratin, serious dandruff
- Itchy scalp
- Smelly scalp
- Damaged hair follicles
- Mild to severe hair loss
- Dry scalp, dry and frizzy hair
- Severe oily scalp
- Sensitive scalp
Our lifestyles and external factors affect the health of our scalp:
1. Stress: Stressful activities such as frequently staying up late, working overtime, work or study pressure, and anxiety can interfere with hormonal function and can result in additional sebum production and irritation on the scalp.
2. Unhealthy lifestyles: Spicy, deep-fried foods, smoking, and drinking will pose indirect damage to the immune system of the scalp, allowing fungus to breed uncontrollably on the scalp.
3. Poor quality hair products/Hair treatments: The harmful substances contained in the poor quality products will stimulate the scalp and cause dandruff and itching. Also, hair dyeing and perming will directly damage the scalp.
4. Change of seasons: Our scalp is sensitive to temperature. During the change of seasons, their scalp begins to have dandruff issues. For example, when the summer begins, the temperature rises and the body will sweat more, causing the increase of scalp sebum secretion.
5. Air pollution: Exhaust gas, toxic substances and suspended substances in the air harm our scalp and hair .
Malassezia is a fungus that exists on a healthy scalp and feeds on sebum. When your lifestyle has changed (i.e. starts to stay up late, have unhealthy meals), the sebum secretion on your scalp will increase, giving Malassezia a perfect environment to exponentially grow. The excessive growth of Malassezia will speed up the metabolism of the epidermal cells and the shedding process of the stratum corneum cells of the scalp, resulting in increased dandruff and itchy scalp.
We take care of our hair like how we take care of our face. Keeping the scalp a healthy environment can subsequently deliver a balanced condition to the growth of hair and scalp. Ai Beauty Clinic is delighted to present Hydrafacial SPA for hair and scalp, which is a new and trendy concept of caring for our hair and scalp, helping to build a healthy and well-balanced scalp and improve hair loss.
What is Hydrafacial:
Hydrafacial is a non-invasive skin rejuvenation device that has US FDA, EU CE, Canada CSA and Chinese CQC certifications. It is a versatile device that provides multiple medical beauty treatments including deep cleaning, skin exfoliation and nourishing protection. It addresses all skin types needs which makes it ideal for hair and scalp caring treatment, leading to the development of the Hydrafacial Keravive scalp treatment.
How does it work:
The Hydrafacial Keravive scalp treatment adopts a patented technology called Hydrafacial Vortex vacuum technology to remove the dirt, dead skin cells and oil from the scalp and hair follicles. The cleansing process will leave the scalp skin with opened pores where an essence with rich growth factors and skin peptides will be absorbed to nourish and hydrate the scalp and follicles. A nourished and hydrated scalp will eventually improve the health of the scalp and stimulate the growth of hair, resulting in thicker and healthier-looking hair.
1. Face-to-face consultation: Develop a unique scalp treatment plan based on the client’s condition and desired results.
2. Pre-treatment preparation: Clients are suggested to wash their hair before coming in for the treatment.
3. Treatment: ① Cleanse + Peel ② Hydrate + Nourish
4. Fuse + Protect: Daily usage of Hydrafacial scalp care spray at home to continue to provide nutrients to the scalp and hair until the next appointment.
Duration: 45-60 mins
Who is it for:
- People with mild to severe hair loss;
- People with problem of dandruff or keratin accumulation on their scalp;
- People with itchy scalp or smelly scalp;
- People with damaged hair follicles on their scalp;
- People with dry scalp or dry frizzy hair;
- People with severe greasy hair or scalp;
- People with sensitive scalp;
- People who want to clean and nourish their scalp;
- People who are looking for fuller, healthier-looking hair;
What is PRP treatment:
PRP（Platelet Rich Plasma）is a plasma containing a high concentration of platelets or growth factors, which can promote skin rejuvenation, stimulate hair regrowth, and speed up wounds healing. PRP treatment is highly safe and has obtained European CE certification, ISO, SQS and extensive clinical validation in other regions. Supported by numerous clinical trials, it has shown positive results for hair growth, reversal of hair loss, and increased hair thickness/volume.
How does it work:
Growth factors produced in platelets stimulate the proliferation, differentiation, and growth of hair follicles, improve blood vessels formation and blood supply around the hair follicle, extend the hair growth phase, and delay the falling out. PRP hair regrowth solution is produced by the client’s own blood and injected into the scalp. The high-concentration platelet and growth factors can effectively stimulate hair regeneration, nourish hair follicles, prevent hair loss and build a healthier scalp, fundamentally solving the problem of hair loss.
1. Face-to-face consultation: Develop a unique PRP plan based on the client’s condition and desired results.
2. Pre-treatment preparation: Collect blood from clients and obtain concentrated platelets solution by centrifugation; Apply anaesthesia, clean, and disinfect the scalp.
3. PRP injection: Administer injection solution to the scalp by a qualified practitioner. Repeat injection in severe areas.
4. Post-treatment precautions.
Duration: 45-60 mins
Who is it for:
- People with seborrheic alopecia;
- People who are prone to oily hair;
- People with severe problem of hair loss or baldness;
- People with thin hair or wide part line;
- People who start to see receding hairline;
- People who are looking for healthier and stronger hair;
- People who wish to increase their hair thickness and fullness by non-hair transplant method;
Improve Itchy Scalp/Dandruff/Oily Scalp,come to Ai Beauty Clinic,
for safe and professional medical treatment.
Ai Beauty Clinic is a CQC accredited clinic based in London, and also is strongly supported by Cynosure(the owner of Ulthreapy) and Cynosure (the owner of PicoSure).
With rich experience of treating clients of various conditions, led by a famous British medical chief trainer, practiced by doctors and nurses who are GMC/NMC-registered and worked in NHS national hospitals, Ai Beauty provides certified and safe medical beauty treatments.
Ai Beauty always puts safety first. Not only are all medical staff insured by independent medical policy, each client who comes to Ai Beauty Clinic is also insured by £5 millions medical insurance. This full insurance coverage allows clients to have a concern-free treatment experience.
Ai Beauty Clinic has served over 15,000 clients from all around the world, been covered by some famous media such as European Times and CW Television, and established trust and an excellent reputation among them.