No matter how bright, sparkling of eyes you have, having dark circles or tear troughs can unfortunately hide away these eye-catching features and make you look tired. Skincare products rarely treat them from the root. However, aesthetic treatments can get to the bottom and help you improve them.
What are dark circles and tear troughs
Dark circles under eyes are the pigmentation deposited around the eyes. They are usually caused by tired eyes, lack of sleep, poor blood circulation around the eyes, and genetic factors.
A tear trough is a deep crease extending from the inner corner of eyes to the lower eyelid, or sometimes even to the upper cheek. It is a type of wrinkles that is caused by the sagging soft tissue at the lower eyelids. Tear trough is one of the three types of wrinkles that significantly represent the ageing process.
○ Causes of pigmented and vascular dark circles:
1. As part of the ageing process, our skin loses its fat tissue and collagen, which leads to a thinner skin layer
2. Genetics, inflammation, and extended exposure to the sun can lead to pigmentation;
3. Allergic rhinitis, stuffy nose, and chronic sinusitis lead to poor blood circulation and hyperplasia of microvessels around eyes;
4. Crying too much, overconsumption of salt, menstruation, and edema at the end of pregnancy can result in temporary increase of visible veins;
5. Poor sleep pattern, sleep deprivation, overuse of eyes, stress, and anaemia can cause swallowing and poor circulation around the eyes;
6. Atopic dermatitis, repeated rubbing and scratching, and recurred contact dermatitis can cause skin to be rough;
○ Causes of structural dark circles:
If dark circles are accompanied with severe tear troughs, the dark circles will appear darker and more serious.
● Two types of tear trough: true tear trough and tear trough with bags under eyes
- True tear trough: characterised by depression or a sunken appearance of the lower eyelid, no under eye bags.
- tear trough with bags under eyes: characterised by the co-existence of tear trough and bags under eyes.
Because of the light reflection on the skin, the depression at the tear trough often gives the wrong impression of the appearance of bags under eyes.
● Types of dark circles: Pigmented, vascular, and structural
▲Vascular Dark Circle
When the skin around the eyes has thin epidermis and dermis, blood vessels under the skin tend to show through, therefore pink or deep purple may be seen around eyes. Vascular dark circles can be caused by sleep deprivation or staying up late, because when our eyes are tired, the circulation around eyes will become poor and oxygen content in blood become lower, causing the blood to turn dark bluish-red. The resulting dark bluish-red vein will then appear on the skin around the eyes area as greenish, bluish-red.
Find out if you have vascular dark circles quickly: Use your fingers to tap the dark circle, if the colour becomes lighter, it is vascular dark circles.
▲Pigmented Dark Circles
Pigmented dark circles are often brown in colour, which is caused by the pigment production and accumulation in the skin. Some lifestyles can accelerate the formation of pigmented dark circles such as extended exposure to the sun, poor facial cleansing, and rubbing eyes frequently. Also, pigmented dark circles could be inherited.
Find out if you have pigmented dark circles quickly: Brown skin appears on both upper and lower eyelids.
▲Structural Dark Circles
Structural dark circles, also known as shadow dark circles, are fake dark circles that are caused by the structural anatomy of the eye socket, skin laxity, bulging bags under eyes, and tear trough. The light reflection on these uneven areas will produce shadows around the eyes area which look like dark circles.
Find out if you have pigmented dark circles quickly: Face to a light source, if the dark circle becomes lighter, it is a structural dark circle.
∷ Dark circles of most people are the combination dark circles type that means a combination of various types of dark circles. It involves multiple considerations when it comes to the treatment of the combination dark circles type. If you are not sure what type of dark circle you have, come to Ai Beauty Clinic for a thorough, professional consultation.
People who stay up late. People who have shown signs of ageing such as dark circles, bags under eyes, wrinkles/lines around their eyes, and tear trough. People who have thin skin at their tear trough area.
As the formation of dark circles and tear troughs are varied and complicated, treatment plans will depend on the person’s actual situation and desired results.
Tear Trough Filler is highly recommended for people who want to restore their brightness and liveliness of their eyes. For all types of dark circles, by simply injecting hyaluronic acid at the dark circles, the skin in the lower eyelids will be pumped and hence reduce the depression at the tear trough, improving the appearance of dark circles. Hyaluronic acid is also a powerful hydration agent that can nourish the skin around eyes, smoothing out wrinkles and lines.
Tear troughs and signs of ageing around the eyes can be treated by the production of collagen. Collagen can quickly give volume at the tear trough, effectively reduce the appearance of tear trough, improve dark circles caused by tear trough, restore drooping skins, and smooth out lines. When the tear troughs are improved, the wrong impression of bags under eyes caused by tear troughs will be improved.
What is it?
Tear Trough Filler, also known as TEOSYAL REDENSITY ll, is manufactured by TEOXANE Laboratories in Switzerland. Approved by the CE and FDA, it is renowned for delivering immediate and long-lasting results on treating bags under eyes and wrinkles around eyes with safe and risk-free experience. It is the world’s first hyaluronic acid filler that targets both tear troughs and dark circles.
How does it work?
Designed to smooth out, plump and nourish the skin around eyes. With a unique mix of non-crosslinked and crosslinked hyaluronic acid, TEOSYAL PURESENSE REDENSITY 2 is designed to treat the eye area and cause minimal side effects and irritation when compared with other similar products. It contains lidocaine, amino acids and microminerals, which helps nourish the skin, correct tear troughs and dark circles, improve hydration and firmness around the eyes, and reduce the appearance of fine lines in the periorbital area. Its unique design helps prevent adverse effects such as swelling, lumps and bumps, and Tyndall effect after receiving injectable hyaluronic acid.
1.Face-to-face consultation: the practitioner will determine treatment areas and dosage according to the client’s bone and face structure.
2. Preparation: Clean, disinfest, and apply topical anaesthesia at the treatment areas.
3. Injection: Inject Filler solution at the dark circles/depression located at the lower eyelids.
4. Post-treatment care.
Who is it for?
- People who have early signs of ageing, lines, or dark circles;
- Any types of dark circles including the combination of various dark circles;
- People who have tear troughs;
- People who want to correct their dark circles and tear troughs;
What is THERMAGE:
THERMAGE uses radiofrequency technology to heat the dermis. The heat energy will damage the localised dermis and hence stimulate the skin self-healing process. The healing process promotes the formation and remodeling of collagens which will tighten, smoothen and lift the skin, resulting in re-contouring and slowing down the aging process. THERMAGE is the only device approved by FDA and CFDA for the treatment of tightening and smoothing eyelids, an eye specialised treatment device to slow down aging and restore youthful eyes.
How does THERMAGE work:
Thermage is a radiofrequency treatment. The patented applicator will contact your skin and deliver the accurately set radiofrequency to the dermis and heat it up to 65℃ – 75℃. The high temperature will stimulate the self-healing mechanism. A large amount of collagen in the dermis will be regenerated, resulting in an instant firming effect and reduction of the appearance of wrinkles.
1、Face-to-face consultation: Confirmation of a detailed plan of THERMAGE after fully understanding the client’s conditions and desired results.
2、Pre-treatment preparation: Clean and disinfect the treatment areas. Draw treatment areas on the face. Confirm the package of the new tip of the applicator has not been opened.
3、During treatment:Proceed the treatment based on the assigned treatment areas to remove wrinkles and tighten skin.
4、Post-treatment repair: QDEL Phototherapy mask to nourish and repair the skin.
Who is it for:
- People who have severe conditions of dark circles and tear troughs.
- People who have signs of ageing around their eyes.
- People who have experienced disappointing results on improving their skin around the eyes from injection treatments.
- People who want to receive anti-aging and wrinkles smoothing treatments in the long run.
- People who do not rush into immediate results and are looking for long term treatment with sufficient financial support.
What is FOTONA 4D PRO:
FOTONA 4D PRO is the new-generation non-invasive anti-aging laser system for a comprehensive facial rejuvenation treatment. The system integrates the four patented technologies: SMOOTHLIFTIN, FRAC3, PIANO and SUPERFICIAL to work on partial layers treatment and multi dimensional anti-aging solution, while simultaneously targeting different skin imperfections. It can treat four major aging signs including contour, skin tone, skin texture and tissue volume in a safe and efficient way. FOTONA 4D PRO helps to restore a more youthful, more defined and rejuvenating appearance. In only 20 minutes, it resolves the imperfections around the eyes area including eye bags, wrinkles, puffiness, dark eye rings, etc.
How does it work:
FOTONA 4D PRO is a dual-wavelength laser system integrated with SMOOTHLIFTIN, FRAC3, PIANO and SUPERFICIAL technologies. The four technologies deliver four different anti-aging results at the corresponding skin layers tackling different skin problems. By adopting a combination of the technologies during the treatment, a comprehensive facial rejuvenation solution can be achieved. The results you can obtain from the treatment are fat reduction at deep skin, lifted skin, improved skin texture, multi dimensional anti-aging, firmed skin, smoothen wrinkles and brighten skin tone. Employing FOTONA 4D PRO for eye treatment can reduce dark eye rings, tighten the skin around eyes and reduce the eye bags.
1. VISIA examination: Access skin condition or existing skin problems with assistance of scientific tools.
2. Face-to-face consultation: Customise unique treatment plan based on client’s condition and desired results.
3. PATCH TEST: Perform a patch test 24 hrs prior to the treatment. Proceed with the treatment when no allergy or abnormal reaction is shown.
4. Apply anesthetics: Apply anesthetics externally. Clean and disinfect the treatment areas.
5. Pre-treatment preparation: Draw treatment areas to mark the treatment areas. Confirm the package of the new tip of the applicator has not been opened.
6. During treatment: Proceed with the scheduled treatment plan with flexibility to adjust the laser energy and depth.
7. Post-treatment repair: Medical-grade facial repair mask and QDEL phototherapy mask to nourish and repair the skin.
8. Post-treatment precautions.
Who is it for:
- People who have problems around their eyes such as skin laxity, dark circles, tear troughs, and bags under eyes;
- People who show signs or early signs of ageing around their eyes; People who have worsen wrinkles condition around their eyes;
- People who have experienced disappointing results on improving their tear troughs from injection treatments.
- People who do not rush into immediate results and are looking for long term, effective treatment on improving their skin around their eyes.
Correct dark circles/tear troughs, come to Ai Beauty Clinic,
for safe and professional medical treatment.
Ai Beauty Clinic is a CQC accredited clinic based in London, and also is strongly supported by Cynosure(the owner of Ulthreapy) and Cynosure (the owner of PicoSure).
With rich experience of treating clients of various conditions, led by a famous British medical chief trainer, practiced by doctors and nurses who are GMC/NMC-registered and worked in NHS national hospitals, Ai Beauty provides certified and safe medical beauty treatments.
Ai Beauty always puts safety first. Not only are all medical staff insured by independent medical policy, each client who comes to Ai Beauty Clinic is also insured by £5 millions medical insurance. This full insurance coverage allows clients to have a concern-free treatment experience.
Ai Beauty Clinic has served over 15,000 clients from all around the world, been covered by some famous media such as European Times and CW Television, and established trust and an excellent reputation among them.