Obesity is on the rise globally, including poor countries and rich countries. This is an issue needed to raise awareness of because it not only affects our appearance but also is a major risk factor of many diseases. Therefore, fat reduction and keeping weight within a healthy range should be on the list of our healthy goals. Apart from workout or diet, can aesthetic treatments help us to achieve it healthily?
What is obesity
Obesity is an indication of excessive accumulation of fat in the body. We gain weight or become obese when the intake calories is constantly higher than the calories needed for a certain period of time. The normal fat content in male is 15-18% while women is 20-25%. As we age, the percentage of body fat increases.
In fact, obesity is not solely a concern of weight, it has been classified as a disease by the WHO (World Health ORganisation) as it tends to share similar pathophysiological properties with many chronic diseases.
BMI 25-29.9 is considered as overweight; BMI ≥30 is considered as obese.
Class l Obesity: 30.0-34.9
Class ll Obesity: 35.0-39.9
Class lll Obesity: ≥40.0
｛* Body Mass Index, BMI, is a measurement of a person’s body fat based on their height and weight. BMI formula is weight ÷ height2 (kg/m2) .｝
Ideally, our daily calories intake and daily calories usage should reach a balance so that we get the right amount of energy we need to get through a day. However, when the calories intake is higher than its usage, the balance will break and cause the accumulation of fat and obesity if it occurs for a long period of time.
Obesity is inherited and affected by the interplay of genetics. Around 20-40% of children who are born to obese parents are prone to obersity.
(1) Food preference: Diet focused on high calories consumption (including high sugar content and deep fried food) is lack of vitamins and minerals, leading to the obesity with accumulation of fat in internal organ.
(2) Overeating: People who eat too much and more than they need; people who like snacking and eating right before bed.
(3) Unhealthy eating habits/ Go on diet: Eating unhealthy food or going on an extreme diet can cause insufficient vitamins and minerals intake. Vitamins and minerals are essential nutrients for our body to digest and remove fat. Therefore, a poor nutrient intake can limit the fat removal and indirectly keep more fat in the body.
(4) Sedentary lifestyle: Day after day of eating without doing exercise, the sedentary lifestyle will slow down your body metabolism and highly reduce the energy usage, which will cause the imbalance between your energy intake and energy usage.With a low energy usage, there is excessive amount of energy remaining in the body that will turn into fat.
(5) Other lifestyle factors: Other risk factors are poor sleeping patterns and drinking too much.
Our major body energy consumption is mainly from the basal metabolic activity followed by the activity/exercise and thermic effect of food. When we grow older and lack exercise, our basal metabolism will slow down, turning our body to be prone to obesity. It is well known as middle-age spread.
When we are under stress, our endocrine gland will produce and release a steroid hormone called cortisol. A high level of cortisol will induce the release of a hunger hormone called ghrelin that increases our appetite. Also, cortisol will reduce the brain’s sensitivity to leptin, trigger food craving for high-sugar, high-fat foods, and block or delay the signals of being full. Therefore, condition such as mental stress, postpartum, menopausal syndrome, and work pressure can disturb the normal hormonal level and nerve meachanism, and result in becoming a fat-prone body.
Obesity can be divided into primary obesity and secondary obesity. Primary obesity is primarily attributed to genetics, sedentary lifestyle, poor dietary habits and exercise habits. Secondary obesity means that the person has a medical condition that has caused them to gain weight. Secondary obesity is less frequent than primary obesity, over 99% obesity is primary obesity.
Primary obesity can happen at any ages, about half obese adults had obesity during their childhood. Generally, weight gain should be a gradual process. If the weight gain is rapid, it may be a symptom of secondary obesity. Men and women have shown different symptoms of gaining weight. Men put weight mainly at their necks, trunk, and head, while women mainly in their abdomen, lower abdomen, breasts, and butt.
Obesity troubles a wide population globally. Young people with obesity face issues with their appearance while older people with obesity will face issues with their health.
In the age of 30s, the secretion of growth hormone will gradually decline, which leads to the tendency of storing fat and losing muscle. Metabolism will also slow down, causing weight gain. Men in their 30s often put on weight in their abdomen; while women in their 30s gradually lose muscle (lose as high as 170g per year) and gain fat.
With the continuous decline of metabolism, people in their 40s take longer to burn the same amount of calories compared to their younger age. Also, the daily energy needed will decrease. If they have not adjusted their diet and continued their food intake like in their 20-30s, it is not surprising to see an annual weight gain of 30 pounds! Perimenopause (period transition to menopause) gradually affects a female hormone levels, making women more likely to put on belly fat.
The male hormones in menopausal women decline gradually at a rate of 50%-60% while the decline rate is higher for estrogen (female hormone) that is as high as 66%. The rapid decline of hormones encourages fat accumulation at the waist. Overweight people in their 50s often suffer from various cardiovascular diseases caused by high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels. In the UK, about a third of people die from heart disease.
Being overweight in their 60s can limit their mobility, making it difficult to maintain a normal weight. Over the age of 65, almost 32% of women are overweight compared with a shocking 54% of men.
Regardless of age, obesity affects our health and appearance. We all should be aware of our body change.
Exercise, diet and some aesthetic treatments are the most common methods to reduce fat, however, they can only reduce the size of fat cells or water content but do not affect the existing number of fat cells, so Fat Reduction ≠ Weight Loss ≠ Fat Loss. To ensure a long-lasting result, a fundamental reduction of fat cell number is the solution. By creating a new balance and eliminating fat cells simultaneously, your body will reach a healthy long-lasting goal.
Ai Beauty Clinic offers a variety of fat reduction treatments, ensuring to tailor the most safe and effective plan for clients to reduce fat and contour their body. Fat dissolving injections and CoolSculpting are recommended for reducing fat at specific body parts as they can eliminate fat cells locally and precisely. Fat Reduction IV Drip encourages the fat burning process and nutrients absorption in the whole body. Also, BTL EMSCULPT helps to simultaneously burn fat and build muscle to create a defined figure.
What is CoolSculpting:
CoolSculpting Elite system is a fat freezing treatment system developed by renowned dermatologists Dr.R.Rox Anderson and Dr. Fieter Manstein at Massachusetts General Hospital (A teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School), and manufactured by American medical equipment manufacturer ZELTIQ AESTHETICS, INC.. The system has been widely used in more than 80 countries globally with more than 5 millions successful practical cases. This technology has been certified by the US FDA, China CFDA and CE. Its safety and prominent results have granted the CoolSculpting technology to be a world class body sculpting treatment.
Based on the cold-intolerance property of fat cells, CoolSculpting technology utilises low temperature (4~5℃) applicators to chill the unwanted fat cells. Fat cells will then die and be excreted out of the body as they can not tolerate low temperature. The accurate temperature setting and the usage of the applicator probe ensure that the process will not damage any normal body tissues except fat cells. Thanks to the high accuracy and specificity, one treatment can achieve a removal of 22.4% fat.
1、Face-to-face consultation: Evaluation of bulges including location and size. Doctor will provide a suggested treatment plan based on your situation and expectation.
2、Pre-treatment: Draw markings to define treatment areas. Clean, disinfect and install the tip of applicator.
3、Sculpting treatment: Place the applicator probe against your skin to deliver cooling to fat cells.
Duration: 1 hr
Who is it for:
- People who are not significantly overweight but looking for a reduction of stubborn fat at specific areas;
- People who want a firmer and trimmer shape body, but want to avoid surgical, liposuction and full anaesthesia;
- People who are physically inactive and want to reduce fat quickly;
What is Lipodissolve injection:
Lipodissolve injection is considered the most safe and effective non-surgical fat reduction treatment, it works particularly well on localised fat reduction such as double chin, chubby face, arms and legs. Lipodissolve injection boosts the metabolic rate of fat tissue, enhances digestion of fat cells, and tightens and lifts the skin.
How does it work?
Lipodissolve injection solution will be administered locally to the subcutaneous fat layer. The active ingredients in the solution will break down the walls of fatty cells and increase the localised concentration of lipase enzymes to facilitate the destruction of fatty cells and let the body flush out the fat as waste via the lymphatic system.
1. Face-to-face consultation: Doctor conducts evaluation of the thickness of the double chin and provides professional advice on whether or not a lipodissolve injection treatment is suitable. If suitable, the injection site will then be marked on the face.
2. Pre-treatment preparation: Local anesthetic. Clean and disinfect the injection areas.
3. Injection: Administered with blunt needles at the double chin. Only one injection at each injection zone.
4. Post-treatment precautions.
Duration: 30-45 mins
Who is it for?
- People with problems of stubborn and troubled fat around their body including shoulders, inner thighs, joints, abdomens, etc;
- People who have fat deposits in the body and want to eliminate cellulite;
- People with uneven skin caused by liposuction treatment;
- People who want non-invasive fat reduction treatment and want to avoid surgical, liposuction and full anaesthesia;
- People who are physically inactive;
C.Intravita Fat Burner
What is Fat Burner:
Fat Burner injection therapy using Intravita products delivers essential nutrients, B vitamins, amino acids and minerals directly into your bloodstream – intravenously through insertion of a cannula into a vein in your arm. The nutrients will boost the metabolic functions of the liver and then accelerate the fat burning process. The therapy helps to boost your health and speed up the fat-burning process safely.
How does it work:
Fat Burner injection solution contains high doses of essential nutrients. The solution will be injected into the body intravenously to promote the removal of fat and toxins from the liver and burn fat, especially the organ fat. A body without these nutrients, bile juice and fat can build up in the liver and result in developing a series of health problems and diseases. This buildup of bile can also slow down metabolism and interrupt the natural fat-burning process. With the quick response property of the fat burner injection ingredients, essential nutrients can be absorbed and act quickly to protect and detoxify the liver, reduce the burden on the body, maintain the health of the gut, improve appetite, and burn fat safely.
1. Face-to-face consultation: Tailored a suitable treatment plan based on client’s conditions and desired results.
2. Pre-treatment preparation: Preparation of injection solution by medical staff.
3. Injection treatment: Inject the fat burner solution into the body intravenously under a relaxed environment.
4. Post-treatment precautions.
Duration: 30-45 mins
Who is it for:
- People who have heavy burden, suffer from insomnia, and stay up late at night;
- People who are on diet, have unhealthy eating habits, and do not get enough nutrients；
- People who intake a lot of greasy and strong favour food that requires huge amount of work from the liver to process;
- People with declined metabolism due to age;
- People who want to boost health and maintain a high energy level;
- People who want to combine aesthetic methods to effectively reduce fat and reach a healthy body balance.
What is BTL EMSCULPT:
Developed by BTL, BTL EMSCULPT is an innovative device that can simultaneously burn fat (19%) and build muscle (16%) by a non-invasive technology. The device offers effective and safe results without emitting any radiation, freezing or high temperature that may damage the epidermis. BTL EMSCULPT has been certified by the US FDA, CE and TGA, and supported by 7 pieces of independent academic research in the United States. EMSCULPT is the same technology that Kim Kardashian has used for shaping her figure.
How does it work:
BTL EMSCULPT adopts a breakthrough technology called High-intensity Focused Electromagnetic Technology (HIFEM) . In only 30 minutes, an energy pulse will stimulate muscle contraction for 20,000 times. The electromagnetic wave emitted from the well designed applicator can penetrate up to 7cm depth of the muscle layer in order to trigger extreme muscular contractions that the human body cannot achieve autonomously. These contractions facilitate fat burning (by increasing breakdown of fat cells) and muscle building and strengthening.
1、Face-to-face consultation: Customise a unique treatment plan for each client based on their condition and desired result.
2、BTL EMSCULPT: Place the applicator tip onto the treatment area, gradually increase the energy intensity.
Duration: 30-45 mins
Who is it for:
- People who are not significantly overweight but looking for a reduction of stubborn fat at specific areas such as shoulders, abdomens and buttocks;
- People who have loosen skin and want to reshape their body contour and tighten their skin;
- People who want to build muscle and burn fat at the same time;
- People who want to rebuild their body silhouette after childbirth;
- People who want a non-invasive fat reduction treatment without any involvement of surgical operation, liposuction or general anaesthesia;
- People who lack sufficient exercise and want to lose fat healthily;
Fed up with Obesity, come to Ai Beauty Clinic,
for safe and professional medical treatment.
Ai Beauty Clinic is a CQC accredited clinic based in London, and also is strongly supported by Cynosure(the owner of Ulthreapy) and Cynosure (the owner of PicoSure).
With rich experience of treating clients of various conditions, led by a famous British medical chief trainer, practiced by doctors and nurses who are GMC/NMC-registered and worked in NHS national hospitals, Ai Beauty provides certified and safe medical beauty treatments.
Ai Beauty always puts safety first. Not only are all medical staff insured by independent medical policy, each client who comes to Ai Beauty Clinic is also insured by £5 millions medical insurance. This full insurance coverage allows clients to have a concern-free treatment experience.
Ai Beauty Clinic has served over 15,000 clients from all around the world, been covered by some famous media such as European Times and CW Television, and established trust and an excellent reputation among them.